Thursday, October 10, 2002

Teachers in Japan are not tied to one school in particular. What I mean by this is that teachers are moved around every several years. This tends to help create the hectic crazy atmosphere that many teachers work with. Every year they may have a new boss or supervisor. The principals only stay at schools 2-4 years. I looked at the portraits of all the past teachers and none of them had been at Horikawa for more than 5 years. At the end of the school year, in March, teachers are shifted around to different schools. I think generally they teach the same age level and subject, but schools are randomly assigned it seemed. Apparently you can request a transfer, but many teachers who don't request one are still moved. Proximity to a school is apparently not a factor in assigning where you work. Many teachers come from other towns in the prefecture and have to commute thirty minutes to go to their school.

I talked with Iguchi-sensei and she has been teaching 10 years and has taught at over 5 schools during that time period. She was moved to Horikawa this year, which is actually close to her house (by coincidence). As a counter-example, Yamamoto-sensei has also taught for 10 years but has only worked at 2 schools during this time. Why? Who knows?

Rarely do students return to their old schools to visit past teachers, because it is unlikely that many teachers will be there that they still know. I think that is kind of sad, because I think the things I remember most about my schools were the students and the teachers, not the facilities.

No comments: