Wednesday, October 02, 2002

I just read something which struck me as really funny, but I think maybe writing it out it will lose some of its humor. I had one of my classes write sentences about themselves on a piece of paper and give it to me. I wrote an example introduction and they were supposed to fill in the details from that.

One student wrote:
I like basketball.
I play basketball.
Hell, my name is Amano Yuta.

I just cracked up imagining this little boy saying "hell" in that context.

A funnier story is one that belongs to my neighbor Elita, but I will steal it for entertainment purposes only (no selling of this story). First I should explain that Elita is from Canada and of Asian descent. So in Japan many people just assume she is Japanese, especially if she is with a white boy, like me for instance. Elita just went to USJ (Universal Studios Japan) in Osaka last weekend. She and some of her English-speaking friends were in Osaka and were searching for a specific shopping district. Osaka is not like Toyama. In Toyama, all the native English-speakers are English teachers, and most of us are in the JET program. In Osaka, there are many more foreigners from lots of different countries. Anyway, Elita found a British businessman that was walking by. She went up to him and started this long question / explanation of what they were looking for. Unfortunately he didn't know where it was either. As Elita turned to go ask someone else, the man said, "By the way, your English is very good." Elita was a little stunned, but quickly replied, "Thank you." She's used to Japanese people saying that to her, but not native English-speakers. Many he was just saying, "For a Canadian, your English is quite good." :)

No comments: