Everyday I eat school lunch. I eat with first-year students, a different class every week. I only rotate between seven of the nine classes, for reasons I don't understand. I think it is because there are 7 teachers without homerooms, including myself, so they always have one teacher at each room. However, this means two classes are perpetually without guests. I think it is just so things are easier for the kitchen as far as how much food to cook for each class. The students go down to the kitchen and pick up big things of food and lug them back to the classrooms. Then those same students dish out food into bowls for everyone. Finally, once all the food is distributed we get to eat. Eating is a strange experience, since the foods can be quite bizarre for me.
They always have milk, and either rice or bread. The Japanese milk tastes different than American milk, and also milk in Spain, I think. I think there is a higher fat content for the milk, plus I think they feed the cows different food. Sometimes lunch is quite good. I enjoyed frozen tangerines more than I thought I would. However once I bit into a small sardine-like fish and it was filled with little eggs. This was quite a disgusting taste and texture, so I didn't eat any more of that. Today we had a sort of curry with tofu, bacon, and eggs. However, the eggs were not chicken eggs. Instead they were the eggs of some small bird. I don't know which one right now. I keep meaning to ask my JTE (Japanese Teacher of English). Sometimes lunch is plenty of food, but other days I feel like I am on a diet. I did realize recently I've lost over ten pounds since coming to Japan. I might have mentioned this in one of my posts during the Toga hostel trip. I think its just extra exercise and eating less food, especially high fat items.
Tuesday, October 08, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment