Wednesday, October 23, 2002

I'm often frustrated with the level of English my students seem to have, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. The textbook had a section on poetry for the third-year students. I was a little reluctant to make a lesson for it, but the teachers said it would be good practice writing. I thought it might be too difficult for the students. However, many of them wrote pretty good poems considering their limited knowledge of English. So I took some of the best ones and I'm posting them here on my weblog, so you can see the results. I put the students name and class number after the poem, unless I couldn't read the name because it was written in kanji.

Window
Open it
The beautiful world
What can you see?
Dream
-Emi Matsuki 2


Starry Night
Have many friends
Shine in the sky
Wish for happiness
Beautiful
-Ayumi Matsuda 2


Moon
Night comes
The moon shines
The mysteries of nature
Beautiful
-Makiko Nishino 8


Daytime
Much rain
From the sky
The sky is crying
Sad
-Sasakura 8


Flowers
Very beautiful
Closing opening dying
Already so far away
Time
-Erina Kanazawa 8


Sky
Many birds
Many planes
Across the sky...
envious!
-Itaru Monno 7


Blue
The sea
Spreads the sky
I see a lot of blue
Earth
-Hiromi Takamori 7


Song
People produced
Satisfy our heart
The height of culture
Pleasant
-Tamohari Tui 4


Nature
Very tolerant
Forest, sky, sea
It nestles my spirit.
Life
-Ai Masuyama 4


Sky
Blue Country
peace, wonderful, free
I can not fly.
forever.......
-Yuugi Miyamoto 4


World
Many places
Sea, island, mountain
born to die
wonder
-kanji name - 9


Universe
Many stars
Sun, Moon.... Earth
We'll go to there.
Infinity.
-kanji name - 9


Stars
shine oneself
night sky twinkle
a shooting star wish
beautiful
-kanji name - 9


Tree
Very big
Green old mysterious
I see it calm
Wonder
-Shihoko Sasajima 5


fly
can fly
Sky, free, most natural
But free so difficult
Thinking
-Ryo Kawakami 5


Equality
Don't fight
Liberty, right, freedom
I wish for peace
Peace
-Izumida Toshihide 5


Test
Study hard
Exhausting, bother, difficult
But do my best
Fight!
-Yotutani Akina 5


Dream
Good night
Happy, sad, busy
I don't wake up
Lucky
-Fuchino Syouko 1


Sports
Enjoy running
Running very hard
run against the wind
Wonderful
-Yuka Takabayashi 1


Music
Sweet sound
blues, rock, country
The world is covered
Great
-Masayuki Segawa 1


Tomorrow
Big sky
never ending story
We can't know future
History
-Emi Yoshida 6


Monster
Big body.
Fearful and bad.
It barks at us.
Darkness.
-Mitsuaki Aratani 6


Dream
Very happy
Speak to friend
But we are busy
Regret.
-Harumi Tanii 3


LIFE
Happy faces
laughing, crying, shining
LIFE is only one
Special
-Hayato Kitano 3


Day
The sunrise
The sun rise
The days pass quickly
good
-Kanji name - 3


Leaf
Many friends
They usually dancing
They have many dresses
Beautiful
-Mika Hamasaki 3


Dream
People having
We have possibility
I want to be.....
Forever
-Naohiko Miwa 3


They also wrote some about Mrs. Iguchi and me. I included two of the funnier ones.

Brian
very groovy
He is popular
His class is interesting
Hold out!
-Akie Fukai 1


Teacher
Mrs. Iguchi
Popular, beautiful, wonderful
But she is scary
Dangerous
-Okada Taku 6

No comments: