Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Today music returned during lunch. We haven't had music for the last week or so, and I've been wondering why. Normally there is a radio show put on by the students during lunch, which includes music. I found out why yesterday afternoon from Mrs. Iguchi. She is pretty good at keeping me informed of all the bad things students are up to. A couple weeks ago she pointed out a student to me and said that he was crazy and dangerous. I've never seen him in class, because he rarely comes to school. Apparently he is sometimes drunk when he does show up. She said his parents are divorced and his mother doesn't take good care of him. He has to eat breakfast in a cheap restaurant every day because she won't buy breakfast foods for him. Well, he doesn't do that well in the school environment. He likes being here because then people will talk to him at least, but he exhibits bad behavior to get negative attention.

He didn't come to school during September at all, but recently he's been coming sometimes. Apparently a week ago he kept showing up during the lunch broadcasts and saying stuff into the microphone. I think he got ahold of the microphone at time outside lunch and made some stupid comments during class. Anyway, they just locked up the room so he couldn't do it anymore, hence no more broadcasts.

A couple days later he got bored and went down to the infirmary. I guess there was a first year student there whom he knew. He was being disruptive, so the nurse told him he had to leave and started leading him to the door. I guess he got upset and attacked her. Iguchi-sensei said that the he punched and kicked the nurse. The nurse got away and ran upstairs to the teacher's room and locked herself in the principal's office. I guess the student came into the teacher's room and started pounding on the principal's door, trying to break it in. Someone called the police, and I think maybe some teachers restrained him. Anyway, the police took him away and the teachers had a serious meeting after school about it.

His father is in a nearby prefecture, and he met with school officials. He said he was taking his son to live with him there and that he'd get him help, etc, that weekend. However, this Monday the student was seen hanging around outside the school, so the teachers don't know what happened with him going to Fukui. I guess some of the teachers, like the nurse, are afraid for their safety. But the really strange thing is that I don't think he's really going to be punished for attacking one of the teachers like that. Apparently in Japan minors are only given lots of warnings for bad behavior, as opposed to some sort of action to fix the problem or move the student to a special program. I think he can legally come back to school if he desires. Anyway, that's my crazy school. We're getting a reputation for having problematic kids now.

No comments: