Yesterday, I had a little adventure. I was biking home from Victoria's house in the morning before school. All of a sudden a car came out of a side street and did a rolling stop at the stop sign. The driver was looking to the side while accelerating right at me. I hit the brakes, but it was too late. I jumped off the bike somehow, but I don't remember doing it. I just remember seeing the bike continue forward without me and getting hit by the car.
The guy stopped (he didn't have much choice since my bike was under his car) and checked to see if I was alright. He got my name and phone number and I got his. I was fine, though my back hurt a little from jumping off my bike. I think I overstretched my bike or something. Anyway, he said it was his fault and that he would pay for everything, which is good. My bike was not all that damaged, surprisingly, but I think the wheel is a little bent, and the tire is rubbing against the frame. In addition, the gear seems to be a little messed up, since the chain is hitting the frame now.
Once I got to school, I told my supervisor and she called the guy and talked to him. He said we would arrange a time to fix the bike. Afterwards, she told my kyoto-sensei, and somehow every single teacher in the school seemed to find out about it after that. My kyoto-sensei is a little paranoid and he was worried about me suffering injury (despite not being hit by the car), so he forced me to miss my fifth period class and go to the doctor. It was a bit silly since I wasn't feeling bad and I would've rather gone today if I had to go. Yesterday I had four classes, while today I have none.
Anyway, he insisted I go, and told this other poor guy that he would have to pay for my doctor's visit. They took x-rays of my back at the doctor and then the doctor told me what I already knew, that it was just muscle pain (good thing we can't break out backs jumping, or we'd be in trouble as a species). They told me not to use my insurance card for the doctor's visit, which means this poor guy will have to pay all the costs out of pocket for my unnecessary medical exam. Oh well, I guess it will encourage him to drive safer in the future.
I don't know when my bike will be fixed, but I am borrowing a school bike every now and then when I need it. Hopefully that will allow me to get around okay. I'm just thankful I wasn't under the car with my bike.
Thursday, February 19, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment