Well, Sports Day finally took place. Sports Day was supposed to be on Saturday, but it rained the night before so they called me up at 6am to tell me it was canceled. Then, of course, it is cloudy but doesn`t rain the whole day. So my welcoming party/ school opening party was postponed also. Then Sunday I woke up early in the morning to the sound of rain, which I thought was someone taking a shower. I quickly realized that Sports Day would be postponed again. So today, Monday, we finally had Sports Day. I really wanted it on the weekend, because there are some things that can only be done during weekdays. I wanted to get some of those things done without having to take any vacation.
Sports Day was exciting. I'll try to get some pictures of it up later, but all the students were very enthusiastic and good at the events. My team, the Blue team one. I was on the blue team, but I didn`t actually do anything for them.
I ran in the 1500m race. I did pretty well considering I didn`t practice. I got 5th or 6th, and pretty much crushed the other two teachers who ran too. Some of the students were very good, and many of them seemed to make it their personal goal to keep up with me, so that was nice.
I also ran in the 1600m men`s relay after lunch. Many of the teachers ran 50m or 100m. The vice-principals and principal all ran too. It was quite humorous. I was the third leg, and I was supposed to run 100m. Everyone was really excited when I got the baton. I started out sprinting as fast as I could, then I quickly realized that I almost no traction. The track is basically packed sand, so as the day went on, the sand had become quite loose, especially on the curves. I realized this right on the curve and almost immediately fell down forward. I just got up and kept running, but all 1500 people let out a big gasp all at the same time when I fell. It was quite funny actually. The teacher team lost in the end, but we were already behind when I got it anyway. It was lots of fun though. I wasn`t alone in falling down though, several boys fell down on the curves during the relays.
Anyway, tonight I have an enkai (big party thing), so I must go shower and stuff.
Monday, September 09, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment