Sunday, September 29, 2002

Well, it is Sunday morning now. The welcome weekend is coming to a close. There wasn't much in the way of organization, so we didn't really do any welcoming type activities. In theory there were supposed to be group games, but since no one set a time or place for them, they just didn't materialize.

I think the owner got really pissed at everyone last night. Many people were still being loud and drinking downstairs around 2pm. I think the owner and his family live there, so they were annoyed that they couldn't sleep. I think maybe the organizers and the hostel people should've talked a little more about noise curfews and the like, just to avoid any ugliness. It's a really nice place and it would be a shame if we were unable to come back. Apparently we were banned from returning to last year's place too, so hopefully we won't build a reputation as horrible guests.

Sarah decided to wake everyone up around 2:30 when she came into the room. I think she was pretty drunk, but she managed to tell us all how she had been on the rooftop, and that she was going to an onsen so she had to borrow our towels. I would've much preferred that she just took my towel and told me in the morning. Then, later, she managed to kick over a half-melted bucket of ice onto her futon, resulting in lots of noise again. I still feel like I slept fine though, and today is a beautiful morning out at Toga. The sun is out today, which is a nice change since it was all cloudy yesterday.

One interesting thing at the hostel is that we saw a monkey outside in a tree. I don't know if it was a pet of the house it was next to, but when we all started staring at it, it got afraid and climbed onto the roof of the house. It was pretty cool, and qualifies as the first monkey I think I've ever seen outside of an enclosure. I wasn't able to get a picture though. :(

No comments: