Monday, September 29, 2003

I'm getting ready for a big demonstration class in October. Half the English teachers from junior high schools in the prefecture will be coming to it. We're doing it with the third-year students, so they know a little English. I'm worried they're going to be nervous with the 40 people or so watching them, and not want to speak out at all. The teacher I'm doing it with is not one of my favorite teachers to work with right now. I used to love working with her, but my feelings have changed recently. Now I just feel stressed out working with her, because she acts very Japanese. Sometimes she will tell me she likes some idea, then just go behind my back and change it. I'd rather she just tell me straight out that she doesn't like it, instead of lying and then doing something else.

Anyway, she's become very stressed out about the lesson plan and is worried about how it will go. She asked me for ideas, and I told her about three different ideas, but she didn't like any of them. She asked me to write a skit for it, and then didn't like the skit. Now she wants me to rewrite the skit for a third time. My English supervisor has indicated this is a top priority, however, so I guess I will work on this instead of teaching as many classes as I normally would. I think how well we do will partially reflect upon how good other teachers think the students are. This is apparently the only demonstration class this year, so it is considered a big deal.

My teacher seems to have turned into a kleptomaniac, too. I think she stole my pencil and my list of ALTs. I think she just keeps grabbing things absent-mindedly.

At least the demonstration class will be over in two weeks. Then I'll be safe.

No comments: