Friday, September 12, 2003

I think I have become the worst blog writer ever. Shame on me!

Sports Day was last weekend. It was supposed to be on a Saturday, but it rained. So they moved it to Sunday, which was fine. However, it kind of broke up the weekend, since we had Saturday and Monday off.

Most of the events were identical to last year, so there weren't any surprises. I even helped spot some of the people who were in more dangerous events. I ran a 70 meter sprint against the oldest boys, and got third place. We were neck and neck, so I wanted a photo finish. :)

Then I ran in the 1700 meter run later on. I think it's about 1700 meters, at least. It's hard to tell on the track, because it is much smaller than a regular one. I did okay, getting about 10th out of a field of 17. Not too bad, since I didn't train at all. I had really tight muscles after the race.

At the end of the day, they have a series of relays. The teachers participate against the first year boys. It was a lot of fun, but we teachers weren't very good at handoffs. Three different teachers fell down during handoffs. Luckily, I didn't fall down this year (I did last year). It's difficult to run on sand, so I took it slow on the curves this year, and tore it up on the straight parts. I ran one lap, which was about 200 meters. When I got the baton, we were about 20 meters behind, but I ran quickly and passed two of the boys. The guy I was handing off to started running really late though and wasn't going nearly as fast as I was. So I put on the brakes and then was about to run into him, so I tried to push him forward. Unfortunately, this meant he fell flat on his face. We quickly fell behind again. We stayed in the race though, and probably could've beaten one of the teams, but I don't think the principal wanted to pass the poor kid, because he was already in last place. Still, it was quite fun.

Some of the teachers dressed up like animals this year, too. We had a cow costume, two chickens, a hamster, and a rabbit. It was very funny watching them run in their costumes.

No comments: