I've tried uploading some pictures to my website and linking them here, but I'm having a little difficulty. I should be able to do it soon. If nothing else, I can hunt down the internet cafe and try to upload a bunch there. That might be the best option.
This week was O-bon, a religious festival where the ancestral spirits of the family return, stay a day, and then leave. Many people travel home to be with their families during this time. It is also a time where the school becomes deserted. I think about 3 teachers and a kyoto-sensei (vice-principal) have been here each day this week. Most of the school clubs have been canceled this week too. Thankfully, the band was canceled today, so no Star Wars theme song. Yay!
I didn't go to an O-bon public ceremony, but I did run into a family with torches waving them over the water while standing on a bridge. They were chanting something. Apparently they were calling their ancestors to come home. It was pretty neat, though I felt a little weird cycling past them on the bridge. I was worried I'd hit my bike bell or something and ruin the moment. I'm not terribly good on my bike either, so I was worried I would accidently run into one of them. Thankfully nothing happened.
Next weekend I am going to Toga Village for an outdoor drama with fireworks and stuff. It is supposed to be pretty cool. Toga is up in the mountains, so it should be cooler there. We got free tickets because we are foreigners. Pretty neat, huh? Apparently this is a world drama festival, or at least that is what they call it. The CIR (JET program participant that doesn't teach, but instead organizes international stuff) in Toga told me about it, and offered me some free tickets and a place to stay. So a group of 4 or 5 of us will venture up into the hills. It should be fun. I've actually got a mountain theme to my next week. We are going to Mt Fuji tomorrow, Mt Tateyama on Thursday, and then Toga village on Saturday. Lots of mountains!
Friday, August 16, 2002
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment