Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I went to the Wieliczka salt mine today. It's a massive salt mine which some of the miners made really artistic, with loads of chapels with stone carvings of religious figures, and some other things like the 7 dwarfs. It was the most expensive thing I have done in Krakow, costing about 16 pounds. However, it was worth it as it is a really unique experience. We ended up with a tour guide with a thick accent (sounded a bit like Count Dracula) and a really dry sense of humor. The tour lasted about 2 hours, and included about 500 steps (400 just to get down into the mine).

I also visited Wawel Castle, which is a massive castle overlooking Krakow. I didn't go in the royal apartments (maybe tomorrow), but I did visit the cathedral, which includes a trip to the cathedral museum and up a large bell tower. The neatest thing was at the museum though, and was a ceremonial robe of an archbishop that was covered with what looked like cloth sculptures. There were basically little 3D scenes on the back of the robe showing Jesus's life, just like you often see inside churches. I had never seen one done on the back of a robe though. Most of Poland's kings are buried in the tombs under the cathedral, so I got to see them too but I'm not really familiar with their names.

Last night I went out with another traveller I met from France, named Helene. We went to a bar in the old Jewish district, Kazimierz. I met her in Auschwitz along with another guy named Karl from Singapore. Helene ended up staying on the spare sofa bed in my apartment so she didn't have to pay for another night in her hostel (Karl left yesterday). She went to Wroclaw today, but I may see her again in Berlin, as she lives there and has invited me to stay with her if I want. I may do that on my last night in Berlin, but I don't want to impose too much (plus it is probably a lot more comfortable to sleep on a bed than the floor, even if it is a bunk bed).

Not long left in my trip now. Thankfully the apartment place is keeping my bag tomorrow so I will be free to explore the city tomorrow. I may go see a movie in the afternoon, depending on the weather. They say it could rain tomorrow, but who knows. My night train to Berlin leaves around 8, so I have a lot of time until then.

No comments: