Wednesday, August 06, 2008

For my last day in Ljubljana, Slovenia I was extremely busy. I went to a massive underground cave this morning called Postojna. You take a train into the inside of the cave for about 8 minutes then you walk around for an hour with a tour guide (who doesn't talk that much actually). It was very impressive, about 3km inside the earth, though only 120 meters underground. There were tons of stalagtites and stalagmites to be seen everywhere. I got the bus back to Ljubljana and met a Korean couple who were headed to Croatia to the places I just came from, so I told them some tips about the areas.

Once I got back to town I was unsure if I should take another hour-long bus ride to Bled, a lake town in the middle of the mountains. So I said if the 1:00 bus was still there (they were hourly on the hour) I would take it or if not I would probably just stay in Ljubljana. As it turns out the bus from the caves arrived early and I just made the Bled bus by 3 minutes. On the bus I met Andy, Josh, and Tracy, three New Zealanders travelling around Europe for two months. They were spending the night in Bled, but invited me to hang out with them. So we rented a rowboat in Bled and rowed out to a church on an island in the middle of the lake. It was lovely there and we went swimming in the water, which was about 24 degrees. It was really clear water - you could see fish swimming in it from far away. Some of the fish were a foot and half long, and impressive to watch. Anyway, they were really nice to me and invited me to continue travelling with them, but I have already purchased many of my train tickets to save money, so that wasn't really possible. I may see them again sometime though as I think we are going to some of the same places at similar times. I didn't get back to Ljubljana until 10:00 at night, but it was worth it as I had a blast today.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Was it warm underground or cold? I've never been that far underground!

Brian said...

8 degrees celsius no matter what temperature outside apparently

Robin said...

That's pretty impressive! I wish it was that constant in the office!

It was another warm day today.

Brian said...

Yeah, I would think it would be colder in the winter for some reason, but I guess the air is so far from other air, and there is no wind or anything in it. The rock formations are amazing, with many of the ones on the ceiling growing at a rate of 1mm/50-100 years. Given how big many of them were, it's really shocking how long it takes.