Sunday, December 29, 2002

We're in Cameron Highlands now. I've been taking notes on things that have happened to us so that I can go back and write about them later. Hopefully I won't forget too much.

Tonight will be the half-way point of our trip, around 10:30pm. It's hard to believe that it has only been 8 days so far. It feels like many, many more. We're always doing exciting stuff during each day, so maybe that is why it feels so long to me.

There are lots of German speakers here at our guesthouse. Our guesthouse is quite nice and relaxed. We met two other JETs here. There are in Chiba-ken, which is the prefecture to the east of Tokyo. They just left this afternoon and are headed to Penang, just like us. We might see them again in Penang. Who knows?

Things are really cheap in Malaysia. I keep getting root beer floats, because I am obsessive about it. I have had four so far. Since they don't have root beer in Cameron Highlands, I am having banana splits instead. I have had one each day, for a total of 3. They cost about a dollar here, so I can stuff my face. I need to eat lots of calories because we are walking so much every day.

After Penang we have decided to head to Pankor Island, which is further south on the peninsula. After a couple days there we'll head to Malacca, and finally back to Singapore. It looks like we'll spend about 2 nights in each place, with the exception of Singapore, which will probably just be our final night instead.

Today we went on a tour of Cameron Highlands from 9-2. We went to a strawberry farm, butterfly garden, rose garden, bee farm, tea factory, and a buddhist temple. It was a busy day, to say the least. Paul and I were supposed to go for a jungle walk this afternoon, but we have decided to relax and use internet instead. At 5 we're watching Legally Blonde in the movie room here.

I'm having a lot of fun and Paul and I haven't driven each other crazy yet. We now have clean clothes too. The laundry washed and dried all our clothes for $1.50 each. It's hard to beat that when you're travelling.

No comments: