Friday, December 20, 2002

Today, I did calligraphy for the first time ever. In Japan they don't just do it with one of those dinky little pens. Instead they make big vertical banners sometimes. I made a big banner that said something about silvery snowy mountain tops. It's a reference to the snow-capped mountain ridges of Mt. Tateyama, which are easily seen from the city. Then I wrote my name in katakana and the symbols for January 1. It's a kind of New Year's greeting banner. All the kids do them and they hang them up inside the school hallways and classrooms. They did different ones at my elementary schools too. I didn't do too badly, considering it was my first time. I made one without any practice and it sucked. Then I got tips and pointers, and my second one ended up much better. The teachers seemed moderately impressed, but they were probably being polite. I haven't painted anything in years.

A couple of the kids I know better have asked me for my home address to send me a New Year's card (Japanese tradition), but I don't really want to give it out to anyone. I'm a little afraid of having visitors at my home when I don't want them. I told them to send it to the school, but I think they probably won't do that.

No comments: