Monday, December 23, 2002

I'm now in Kuala Lampur and it is pouring here. A thunderstorm just sort of spontaneously began. I did bring my umbrella, and luckily we are a short walk from the hotel. However, it seems pretty nuts outside. Luckily internet is $1.50 an hour, so we can stay here for awhile if we need to.

I met up with Paul without any problems. Before he arrived I found a group of JETs from Fukui, a nearby prefecture. One girl, Kristy, I had met in Washington, D.C. so I recognized her and she introduced her friends. They were all going home. I also ran into two JETs from Toyama city. They were going to Thailand, like many other JETs have done.

No complications on the airplane, except a lot of turbulance, so we couldn't use the toilet for the first two hours. Once we landed in Singapore, we marched through customs without any problems, since there were absolutely no customs agents anywhere to be found. We secured a cab to our hotel, since it was 11:00pm, and we didn't want to fool with public transportation. Our cab driver passed hundreds of cars on the short drive into the city. He was fearless, tailgating everyone and swerving from lane to lane. I was more afraid in the cab ride than in the airplane ride. We arrived at our hotel in very little time.

The hotel clerk was particularly unfriendly, but we got checked in and went to our room. It had some cockroaches, along with old mouse droppings and cigarette ashes behind the toilet. However, the beds were clean and we had an interesting view Sunday night when thousands of Indian residents filled the park near the hotel, standing around and talking. We went to bed Saturday night as soon as we were in the room.

No comments: