Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Today my class got pushed to tomorrow, so I don't actually have any classes today. I do have English club however. It is at 3:00 instead of 4, which is actually better for me. I have to walk to Japanese lessons tonight, so I will need extra time to get there. I haven't figured out what to do for English club, but that's okay. I may continue some Christmas activities that I was doing last week. We learned some Christmas words and started playing a game, but it didn't last a long time. Often I get the impression that many of the girls in English club have no desire to be there. They certainly don't want to practice speaking English. Actually, there are about 10 members in English club. I think about half of them have a pretty high level of English. The other people seem to be in the club because they have nothing better to do, or because their friends are in the club. About 5 of the girls are willing to speak, but normally only 2 or 3 of them actually show up to any given meeting. However, the 5 girls who hate speaking with a passion ALWAYS come to every single meeting. I just don't understand how they can be so quiet. They aren't quiet when they talk in Japanese. It's really annoying when I am trying to teach them some new words so we can play a game, but only 2 of the girls will repeat the words to practice. It just sounds really quiet when we're doing things like that.

A couple weeks ago we had a meeting and only the quiet girls and 1 talkative girl were there. We were supposed to be playing a game where you try to guess your identity, which is written on your back. However, the point was to practice saying job words which we had just learned. Immediately the quiet girls became incredibly loud, but speaking only Japanese. They didn't even try to say anything in English, which I believe is the whole point of English club. So I got really upset and basically said, if you don't want to try to speak English, then don't come to English club anymore. It's not worth my time and energy to create extra lessons if they are just going to be ignored. I don't think it really helped much as far as making them talkative. But hopefully they won't talk in Japanese so much.

No comments: