My mom, dad, and grandmother have all arrived safely to Sheffield. They flew over on a 7 hour flight, then took a 5.5 hour bus up from the airport in London. It was slower than the train but much cheaper and didn't require any transfers.
Yesterday they were exhausted, so after I met them the bus station, I took them to the hotel immediately. I collected them at 6 to come to our flat for dinner. I cooked lasagna, but I got a late start, so it wasn't ready until a little later than I had hoped. The family got tired after dinner and went to sleep at 9. They seemed to sleep pretty well and woke up the next morning, instead of the middle of the night. That is a good sign for adjusting to the jet lag.
Today was wet and rainy, and I was attending my postgrad class. So they fended for themselves and went to a museum about Sheffield's industrial heritage. They met me for lunch and we went to Cafe Twenty-two A, a nearby place with nice hot drinks and sandwiches. Then I returned to my class and they went to the winter gardens (an indoor garden surrounded by glass) and the adjoining millenium art galleries. Again I had them over for dinner and we had roast chicken, complete with Yorkshire puddings (cup-shaped bun-things which are traditionally served with British roast meals).
Tomorrow we are going to go visit York. I haven't been there yet, so it should be nice. It is supposed to be one of the best cities in Britain to see original historic buildings, etc. It is surrounded by city walls.
Thursday, September 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment