Thursday, January 06, 2005

My first week back in the U.K. has flown right by. I am having a little bit of trouble adjusting to the new sleep schedule still. I keep going to bed at 8:30 or 9, and then waking up at 6am. at least I am getting a lot of sleep. Last time, in September, the transition was really bad, and I kept waking up halfway through the night at 3am really hungry. This is much better than that.

I went by the charity on Tuesday, to discover it was closed. I guess I should have called first. I called again today, but there was no response. I imagine they are still closed for the holidays. If I remember my high school Spanish classes well, the twelve days after Christmas are just as important as Christmas itself in some countries, so I guess they've taken an extended break. Unfortunately, their office is inside another building with a locked door, so I couldn't look at the office to see if there is any info about when they might reopen. I think I will try on Monday, as that seems the most likely.

The weather is much colder here right now than at home (where it was in the 60s and 70s, strangely). I lit up the heater for the first time a couple of days ago, though I suspect we should have been using it earlier, as well.

Victoria is doing fine, and is really excited about all her new presents. She wears her new clothes all the time, and loves her new bags as well. Plus she has a zillion scarves to wear. Victoria's parents gave me a scarf for Christmas as well, so I have another scarf, too. Victoria also got me a leather wallet, a cooking apron with sheep wearing rubber boots on it, an ergonomic peeler, and a book about Britain. Victoria's sister Fiona got us both tickets on the London Eye, which is basically a giant ferris wheel in downtown London. We just have to go to their website and book a timeslot.

Victoria started up work (sort of) again on Tuesday. She is not actually going to her office, but instead to a first aid course at a place like the Red Cross, called St. John's Ambulance. She is training to be a first aider, which apparently gives you a small wage increase at work. Since it's also a practical skill to have, and they pay for the training, she figured it would be a good idea. She is also the fire warden for her floor, another role she will hopefully never have to use.

Meanwhile, I am taking the time to search out more jobs and apply for them. Hopefully I can get some more interviews. I read that UK unemployment is reaching a record low for current history, so that is some positive news for me. I just hope all the continental Europeans stay in their own countries.

No comments: