Thursday, December 23, 2004

It's been a little while since I posted anything, so I thought I should give at least a status update. I have come back to America for the month of December for Christmas, and to take care of various business. I am working as a seasonal driver helper for UPS. Due to the increased package volume around Christmas time, UPS hires people from Thanksgiving to Christmas to go around in the truck and help the driver deliver to residences. My driver has also taught me how to use the handheld computer (DIAD), so I help him with his business deliveries and pickups as well. It is nice to be earning a little cash while I am at home. I should earn enough to pay for expenses like Christmas presents, the flight home, and a visa to England.

I applied for, and got, a volunteer visa to do spanish translation and interpreting in London. It should give me a focus for my energies while I continue to job hunt. It can be quite depressing and boring doing nothing but job hunting. This should give me a chance to improve my Spanish again, as well. Another advantage of the visa, is that I can come and go as I please for up to one year. On a tourist visa, my reentry would be at the discretion of the immigration officer each time, and I would have to show proof of my financial statements, etc. I think it will be much more comfortable this way.

I will be going back to England on December 30, so if you are in Raleigh and want to catch up with me, do so before then.

No comments: