Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Well, I am in London now, after a semi-busy three weeks in the U.S. Victoria and I have found an apartment in Clapham, a town to the south of London. Clapham has a giant common area in the middle of the town, and we are lucky enough to have a bedsit with a view of the common. Now, some people might be asking what a bedsit is, because I didn't know before I came to London. A bedsit is like a studio apartment, but it is lacking one thing: a bathroom. We have a closet with a shower in it, a main room with a kitchenette in it, but no toilet. Our room is in an old, converted 5-floor house. There are about 15 rooms or so in the house, so there are a decent number of people there. I gather that some of the rooms are singles, and others are doubles, like ours. Also, it seems like about half of the people in the house are Spanish, which seems to be a common theme in London. Generally, London seems really cosmopolitan.

I can't believe how many people from different countries there are here. We went to the city tourist office one day, and all the people who were behind the counter were non-British. Personally, when asking for tourist advice, I prefer asking someone who knows what they are talking about. My current situation also comes to mind as a good example. I'm sitting in a place called Caffe Nero, which is a British coffee chain, claiming to be Italian. The wireless internet service I am using comes from an American company, and all of the serving staff are women from Spain. Yesterday I heard an American and a Russian having a conversation here, next to them, a group of Italian men.

Victoria is off at her class right now, trying to get a certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL). She's getting some certification called CELTA. She has another week and a half of classes, and then she will be free. I think the class has turned out to be a lot more work for her than she originally thought it would be. Afterwards it should prove a good source of employment though, and more interesting than temp jobs. Hopefully, better paying as well.

I spend my time writing a computer program to show to potential employers, and scanning job ads for things I might be good at, that might give me a work permit. I have also been sorting out stuff like a phone line, and internet at home, because Victoria is too busy to do that stuff. I will be continuing to write in my blog, though I'll probably change the name to reflect my current location. I might not have internet at home for a week or two, so it will be spotty at first.

No comments: