Thursday, January 22, 2004

Between 1 and 4pm today, we had a small blizzard come through Toyama. It snowed about 4 inches during that time period, and caused some serious driving hazards. I was quite lucky since I was able to walk home. Victoria was not quite so lucky. Her school is far enough away that she has to take a train there. At the end of the day, she arrived at the train station and was told that the trains were delayed to Toyama because of snow and ice problems. They said maybe it would be about an hour. That hour passed, and the message from the train counter was still the same. After awhile, she called me and told me about being stuck in the station. Later, she called to say that if she wasn't back by Friday evening, that I should start watching movies without her. At seven, the counter manager at the station got in his car and left, without leaving notice of when the next train would be. Victoria didn't see any trains going into Toyama, but did see several going out of Toyama. She called her school to tell them the problem, but they basically said tough luck and didn't offer to give her a lift into town, which is quite rude. I don't think she would've minded waiting, but she just wanted to know she could make it home. They did tell her the number for a taxi, so she called them and they said they could come in 40 minutes or so. Eventually one came and she made it home around 8:30. It took her nearly 4 hours and about 40 dollars to get home! She's going to put the taxi money on the transportation reimbursement form, since it was the only way for her to get home.

Anyway, the play for this weekend is hibernate and watch movies. Oh yeah, it's still snowing now, so tomorrow may be a bit of the same. I might even have to take the tram to elementary school if it doesn't clear up. I've never had to do that before.

No comments: