Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm now watching something you never see on TV in England - an NFL game (Saints versus Chargers). It's being played live in London, which is also quite unusual, and it's being shown on one of the main BBC channels. They don't know what to do with all the stopping and starting though, as there are no ads on the BBC. So they seem to have a lot of breaks to the commentary room to see them discussing the plays. I think British people would be more used to that format anyway, because all of the regular football (soccer) games' broadcast rights are owned by private satellite companies. So what they normally do is have a live radio feed with commentary on it by people in a studio, though often this is just highlights or key points. It's also what happens during half-time when some of the international and European games are shown on broadcast channels. It seems to be quite popular, as they have filled Wembley stadium, which I think is the largest in England (80,000 seats), and where the international soccer matches are played.

Today was the end of daylight savings time in the UK. I think it is next week in the US. It's nice to get another hour in the day, especially when you forget as I did this morning. However, it is a little disorienting as well, since your body thinks it is a different hour than the clock does.

My foot is getting a little better. I can now wiggle my toes. It's still a lot of effort to go around town though, so I am keen for it to all get better. I still have about two and a half weeks before the boot and crutches go away. Otherwise not too much to report, mostly quite boring due to mobility issues.

No comments: