Friday, March 16, 2007

In the news today was the verdict about the shooting of a British convoy by US planes in Iraq. I don't think many people have been talking about it, but the other week a news agent did stop me and say "One question since you're American: was it murder or not?" I didn't know what he was referring to at the time, but I had heard of the story on the news, so I told him that I wasn't really sure, but that the US government should've been more forthcoming with the evidence (they kept delaying and delaying for years for no good reason). It did scare me a bit the tone of voice he was using, as it was a bit angry. The verdict said that it was an unlawful killing, but the coroner seemed to be blaming the pilots. Having heard the transcripts, it does seem like the pilots repeatedly asked if there were friendly targets in the vicinity, and were told no by the control room, so it seems like the control room or the communication mechanisms were really at fault. Anyway, I hope there's no crazy anti-US fanatics wandering around looking for someone to blame.

No comments: