When Victoria came up to Sheffield a couple weekends ago to visit, we discovered we had a mysterious pet living in the fire escape (which is indoors). I was worried there were mice or something. However, when I opened the door, there was a pigeon sitting there looking at me. It looked very hungry, but I didn't want to tell with it right then. The next day I got some bread and went to feed it. It was sitting by the closed window looking out. I think during some recent construction the window must have been left open. It got shut after the pigeons wandered in. I say pigeons because I also found a dead one in the stairwell.
I gave lots of bread to the pigeon, but also opened the window and put bread on the window sill. However, the pigeon didn't go for the bread on the window. He just kept waiting for me to give him more bread. I tried going down the stairs a ways and he followed me, hopping down the steps one at a time. Eventually I hatched a new plan. I went down to the basement and got a plastic plank. I put bread all over it to lure him onto the sheet. After some trepidation, the pigeon hopped on and started munching on the bread. I was surprised at how light the pigeon was. I was able to lift the flimsy board up quite easily to the window. Once he got a better view of the other bread, he went out on the window to eat it. Finally, I was able to close the window. I hope he is strong enough to make it in the outside world. But I thought he would surely die if he stayed in the stairwell. I am talking to the landlord today, so I will be sure to mention the dead pigeon so it can be removed.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment