Tuesday, February 22, 2005

It has been snowing in London for the last several days. It also got a lot colder again. Of course, the weather is not as bad as Toyama was, but it is definitely cold here. The snow hasn't really accumulated at all. It is mostly a thin layer on the ground, with nothing left on the pavements (sidewalks) and roads.

Yesterday Victoria and I got to meet the Japanese ambassador to the U.K. We went to a Japan Society event for the first time. We have free membership for one year since we are JET alumni. Many of the events are quite expensive, so we haven't gone to them. But this one was reasonably priced, so we went. We met many people there who also had not been to many events either, so I think other younger members are in the same situation. Most of the younger people seemed to be either Japanese or ex-JETs. There is a conversation group every first Thursday, so we hope to go to that next week. Apparently mostly younger members go to the conversation thing, so that should be fun. Our Japanese has slipped some, so it will be good to practice. The ambassador spoke at the event and answered questions about Japanese foreign policy and world events. He told us some interesting stuff about what Japan is doing, but was still very diplomatic (I guess that's why he is an ambassador) about the whole thing. He was especially careful when talking about Japan's support for American foreign policy in Iraq, and with the Kyoto Treaty.

Last Wednesday was my birthday, and it was quite busy. I spent a lot of the day running around at the charity doing various interpretations and some computer work. When I got home, Victoria and I got a little dressed up and went out to a nearby Mexican restaurant on Clapham High Street. There are a lot of restaurants nearby, but they are not that affordable for us right now, so it was nice to experience one of them. The food was good, and the atmosphere was nice in the restaurant. Today I found out about a Columbian restaurant that is supposed to be delicious and cheap. Maybe that will be our next meal out.

This week I am busy preparing for an interview on Thursday, as well as doing all the chores and volunteering at the project. Victoria is in the final stages of making the course schedule for the school, and it is exhausting her. Hopefully it will be finished soon so she won't have as much pressure at her workplace.

No comments: