Friday, October 15, 2004

I've been busily preparing for my upcoming interview. I'm mostly reviewing all the types of work I have done in the past, so that I am ready for any questions of a more technical nature.

Today and yesterday were a little worse on the job search side of things. However, today's bad luck was almost comical. I just got a phone call from a guy who looked at my resume on monster.co.uk. He asked me, "Are you looking for a job currently?" Right then, the phone just cut out, before I had a chance to say anything. I imagine it couldn't have really happened at a worse time in that conversation. He probably assumed I was rude and just hung up on him because I was not interested. Perhaps I had been getting tons of calls about jobs. Who knows what went through his mind, but he didn't call back. I tried using BT's service where you can find out the last number that called you, but they had caller-id blocking on, so I was unable to call him back. It's almost funny just how much bad luck it was.

Yesterday was not that much better. A recruiter called about a job I had applied for. However, he hadn't noticed that in my application I had mentioned I would need a work permit. When he found out, that was the end of the conversation, because it would take longer than they would want to wait.

At least some people are interested in me after reading my CV. However, I worry that it will be problematic for anyone to get me a work permit. It looks like it might take 1-2 months, during which time I will also need to leave the country.

Victoria will find out about a job she interviewed for at a charity travel agent sometime today. She also got invited to an interview as an assistant editor at a publishing company. The interview is this afternoon. If I get the job in Oxford, we might end up living on the outskirts of London, at one of the locations that is a bus stop to Oxford and a subway stop for London. I looked up how much a yearly bus pass to Oxford is, and it costs 950 pounds, about $1800. I thought that was expensive, but it would also be an hour bus ride each way, so that isn't actually that bad. Then we found out how much the yearly subway pass would be, and nearly had a heart attack. From zone 6, it would be 1600 pounds, about $3000. It's shocking because the distance is much shorter than to go to Oxford. However, the underground is really overpriced in London in general. By comparison, a monthly pass in New York City costs about $70, for a yearly bill of $840. It's quite surprising how much the subway costs, because it is really old and not that nice. I think the trains are quite cramped and small, and there aren't even escalators in a lot of the stations, despite long staircases.

Well, enough about how much of a ripoff London transport is. Off to go do my laundry.

No comments: